Today, the Department of Defense (DoD) announced additional security assistance to meet Ukraine's critical security and defense needs. This announcement is the Biden Administration's fifty-first tranche of equipment to be provided from DoD inventories for Ukraine since August 2021. This package includes additional air defenсe capabilities, artillery ammunition, anti-tank weapons, and other equipment to help Ukraine defend its sovereign territory and fight for its freedom from Russia's ongoing war of aggression.
The capabilities in this package, valued at up to $100 million, include:
· Stinger anti-aircraft missiles;
· One High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) and additional ammunition;
· 155mm and 105mm artillery rounds;
· Tube-Launched, Optically-Tracked, Wire-Guided (TOW) missiles;
· Javelin and AT-4 anti-armor systems;
· More than 3 million rounds of small arms ammunition;
· Demolitions munitions for obstacle clearing;
· Cold weather gear; and
· Spare parts, maintenance, and other ancillary equipment.
Speaking at a briefing in Kyiv, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin noted that this package utilizes assistance previously authorized for Ukraine during prior fiscal years under Presidential Drawdown Authority (PDA).