Russian forces attacked Zhytomyr with jet-powered drones on 19 August. Zhytomyr Regional Military Administration head Vitalii Bunechko reported the strike. The attack hit the building of the Main Department of the National Police in Zhytomyr Region. By the morning of the following day, the death toll from the attack had risen to three.
“Rescuers continue to work at the scene – the fire has been extinguished. Emergency recovery operations are currently underway: rescuers are dismantling damaged structures and examining the site. High-rise rescue specialists from Cherkasy and Rivne regions have been brought in to assist with the work,” the State Emergency Service said.
The third person killed was police officer Svitlana Savchenko, the Interior Ministry reported.
“Svitlana dedicated more than 20 years to serving in the internal affairs agencies. She worked in investigative and operational units, and in recent years served as a senior operative in particularly important cases at the Strategic Investigations Department,” the ministry said.
According to acting National Police chief Maksym Tsutskiridze, the initial reports said that two police officers had been killed and at least 20 people injured.
“The enemy once again strikes not only buildings. It deliberately targets people who work every day to keep others safe. Today, the building of the Main Department of the National Police in Zhytomyr Region came under attack. The strike caused a fire on the roof and the fourth floor,” he said.
The number of casualties rose on the evening of 19 August. According to updated figures from Interior Minister Ivan Vygivsky, 40 people had been injured by that point.
He said that when the air raid alert was issued, most people managed to get to the shelter, but a double direct strike claimed the lives of two police employees.
Artem Zubchuk. Police captain, senior operative of the Strategic Investigations Department in Zhytomyr Region. He was 32 years old.
Yuliia Yevdokymova, who was 39 years old. Police lieutenant colonel, assistant to the head of the Main Directorate of the National Police in Zhytomyr Region.
On the morning of August 20, the State Emergency Service said that the death toll from the strike had risen to three.
"Rescuers continue working at the sites—the fire has been extinguished. Emergency recovery operations are currently underway: responders are dismantling damaged structures and inspecting the scene. Rescue climbers from Cherkasy and Rivne regions have been brought in," State Emergency Service staff wrote.