NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said that the Alliance has no indication that drone debris found on Romanian territory was caused by a deliberate Russian attack on Romania, Reuters reports.
Ukraine had said on Monday that drones detonated in Romania during an overnight Russian air strike on a Ukrainian port across the Danube River. Attacks have increased on the site since July when Moscow abandoned a deal that lifted a de facto Russian blockade of Ukraine's Black Sea ports.
Romanian officials initially denied the Ukrainian allegations but changed course on Wednesday, with Defence Minister Angel Tilvar saying that parts of what could be a Russian drone fell on Romanian soil.
"We don't have any information indicating an intentional attack by Russia, and we are awaiting the outcome of the ongoing investigation," NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg told EU lawmakers.
Stoltenberg stressed the risks Russian air strikes in such close vicinity to the alliance's territory posed.
The video of the Russian drone crash in Romania was previously published by civic activist Serhiy Sternenko.
Russia has been conducting long-range air strikes against targets in Ukraine since 24 February, 2022. For several times the suspicions of Russian weapons flying over neighboring countries or falling on their territory were reported by Kyiv.
In the most serious incident, two people were killed in Poland by a missile that fell near the border last November. Poland and NATO allies later said it was a misfire from a Ukrainian air defence missile.